Permanent Residence

Partnerships for authentic experiences.

John Doe

Application for Permanent Residence – Provincial Nominee Class (IMM P7000)

Application for Permanent Residence

This is not a legal document. The explanations and definitions are not legal definitions. In case of a discrepancy between the language in this document and the relevant legislation or regulations, the legal text in the legislation and regulations prevails. For legal information, see the: Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations This information will help you complete the forms and guide you through the application process.



Application package

This application package has:

  • an instruction guide, and
  • the forms you need to fill out.

The instruction guide:

  • has information you must know before you submit your application, and
  • explains how to fill out the forms and gather your supporting documents.

Read the instruction guide completely and then fill out each of the applicable forms.

The forms are designed with questions that will help the processing of your application.

Symbols used in this guide

This guide uses these symbols to draw your attention to important information:

Required step
What you must do to have your application processed.
Important information

Important information that you need to know to avoid delays or other problems.

Get more information

Where to get more information.

Note: Tips that will help you with this application.

Partnerships for authentic experiences.

John Doe

Application for Permanent Residence – Provincial Nominee Class (IMM P7000)


Before You Apply

The Provincial Nominee Class (PNC)

Canada encourages applications for permanent residence from people with abilities, education and work experience that will contribute to the Canadian economy.

The Provincial Nominee Class (PNC) allows provincial and territorial governments to choose immigrants according to the economic needs of the province or territory. Each province and territory:

  • establishes its own standards and processes by which it chooses its nominees,
  • tries to nominate those candidates who would be most likely to settle effectively into the economic and social life of the region.

You must apply to the PNC in two (2) steps:

  1. You must first apply to the province or territory where you want to live and be nominated, and
  2. After a province or territory nominates you, you must apply to IRCC for permanent residence. An IRCC officer will then assess your application based on Canadian immigration rules.

Who may use this application?

Applications for permanent residence under the PNC can be submitted by people who have been nominated by one of the following provinces or territories:

  • Alberta
  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Northwest Territories
  • Nova Scotia
  • Ontario
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Saskatchewan
  • The Yukon Territory

Provincial and Territorial Contacts

Before you can apply to immigrate to Canada as a provincial nominee, you must first be nominated by a province or territory. Each province or territory has its own application and nomination procedures. However IRCC retains the authority to make the final decision on an application for permanent residence using existing selection and admissibility criteria, including security, criminal, and medical components for candidates who hold Provincial Nominee Certificates.

If you would like information on how to become nominated by a particular province or territory, or if you require further details regarding the PNC, contact the following provincial and territorial authorities:

Provincial and Territorial Contacts

  • Alberta
  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Northwest Territories
  • Nova Scotia
  • Ontario
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Saskatchewan
  • Yukon Territory

Other classes

This application package is only for applicants in the PNC.

If you think you may qualify to apply under a different program, use the Come to Canada Tool to find out which immigration stream best suits your situation.

Check other classes to see if you satisfy their eligibility criteria.

Staying informed

Selection criteria, requirements and other information for applicants can sometimes change. Please note that:

  • Applications will be processed according to the rules and regulations in effect at the time of the assessment. These may change at any time.
  • Our website contains the latest news, selection criteria updates and applications links. Check periodically for updated information.

Funds required to settle in Canada

The government of Canada provides no financial support to new immigrants. You must prove that you have enough money unencumbered by debts or obligations to support yourself and your family members after you arrive in Canada.

We strongly recommend that you research the cost of living in the region of Canada where you intend to live. Bring with you as much money as possible to make your establishment in Canada easier.

Disclosure of funds

If you arrive in Canada with an amount greater or equal to CAN$10,000, or its equivalent in a foreign currency, you must tell this to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer. These funds could be in the form of:

  • cash,
  • securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills), or
  • bankers’ drafts, cheques, travellers’ cheques or money orders.

Note: Failure to disclose funds can result in fines and imprisonment.

Working in Canada

Finding employment in Canada requires planning. You should obtain as much information as possible before you apply to immigrate. There is no guarantee that you will be able to work in your preferred occupation.

Although credential assessment and licensing are not required for the provincial nominee application, you need to be aware of these issues when considering immigrating to Canada.

Please consult regulated and non-regulated occupations (PDF, 2.12MB) for more information.

Regulated occupations

Twenty percent of people working in Canada work in occupations that are regulated to protect the health and safety of Canadians. Examples include:

  • nurses
  • engineers
  • electricians
  • teachers

Provincial and territorial regulatory bodies are responsible for establishing entry requirements for individual occupations; for recognizing prior credentials, training and experience; and for issuing licences required to practice.

The recognition process varies between provinces and territories and between occupations. Recognition of qualifications and issuance of licenses can generally only be completed in Canada. The process can take time. You may be asked to:

  • provide documentation of qualifications
  • undergo a language examination (which may differ from those required for immigration)
  • complete a technical exam (with accompanying fee)
  • do supervised work

Non-regulated occupations

For non-regulated occupations, there are no set requirements and there is no legal requirement to obtain a licence. The employer will set the standards and could request registration with a professional association.

Credential assessment

A credential assessment is advice on how qualifications from another country compare to Canadian qualifications. An assessment does not guarantee that:

  • a regulatory body will issue you a licence to practice
  • your credentials will be accepted by a Canadian employer

However, a credential assessment will help you understand the Canadian educational system and assist you with your job search.

To have your credentials assessed by one of the provincial evaluation services, consult the Foreign credentials referral office (PDF, 2.12MB).

Labour market information

Job opportunities and labour market conditions are different in each region of Canada. It is important to research conditions in the area in which you want to live.

Please consult the Working in Canada tool for information on the Canadian labour market, job banks, and provincial and territorial labour market information.

Family member definitions

Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children.


Refers to either of the two persons (opposite or same gender) in a marriage legally recognized in the country in which it took place, as well as in Canada.

Important information

Proxy, telephone, fax, internet and similar forms of marriage where one or both parties were not physically present are no longer considered as valid spousal relationships under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. For more information, consult our policy on the legality of a marriage.

Common-law partner
Refers to a person who is living in a conjugal relationship with another person (opposite or same gender), and has done so continuously for a period of at least one year. A conjugal relationship exists when there is a significant degree of commitment between two people.

This can be shown with evidence that the couple share the same home, support each other financially and emotionally, have children together, or present themselves in public as a couple.

Common-law partners who have been in a conjugal relationship for at least one year but are unable to live together or appear in public together because of legal restrictions in their home country or who have been separated for reasons beyond their control (for example, civil war or armed conflict) may still qualify and should be included on the application.

Dependent children

We assess your child’s eligibility as a dependant based on how old they were at a specific point in time, called the lock-in date. This is usually the date we received your application. To see if your child qualifies as a dependant, we consider the age of your child on the lock-in date, even though your child’s age may change during processing.

Your child or the child of your spouse or common-law partner can be considered a dependent child if that child meets the requirements below on the lock-in date:

  • They’re under 22 years old, and
  • They don’t have a spouse or common-law partner

Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

  • They have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
  • They are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition

With the exception of age, dependants must continue to meet these requirements until we finish processing your application.

Not sure if your child is a dependant? Check if your child qualifies by answering a few questions.

If your child’s age was locked in on or before October 23, 2017, a previous definition of dependent children may apply.

Dependent child of a dependent child
Refers to children of dependent children of the applicant and those of the spouse or common-law partner, if applicable.

Biometric (fingerprints and photo) requirements

You and your family members may need to appear in person to have their fingerprints and photograph (biometric information) taken at a biometric collection service point.

Canadian citizens and existing permanent residents of Canada are exempt from giving biometrics.

As of December 3, 2019, you need to give biometrics when you apply from within Canada. You can go to a designated Service Canada location.

Find out if you need to give biometrics.

If you have to give biometrics, you can give them after you:

  • pay for and submit your application and biometric fees, and
  • get a Biometric Instruction Letter (BIL) which will direct you to a list of biometric collection service points you may choose from

You must bring the BIL with you to the biometric collection service point to give your biometrics.

We encourage you to give your biometrics as soon as possible after getting the BIL. We’ll start processing your application after we get your biometrics.

Where to give your biometrics

You need to book an appointment to give your biometrics at one of these official biometric collection service points.

Step 1. Gather Documents

What documents are required?

Use the Document Checklist (IMM  5690) (PDF, 395.04KB) to assist you in gathering the necessary documentation.

Important information

If you do not provide all the requested information and the documents from the checklist, your application will be returned to you.

Translation of documents

You must submit the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:

  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if they’re not a certified translator); and
  • certified copy of the original document.

small exclamation warning signImportant information: Translations must not be done by the applicants themselves nor by an applicant’s parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin.

If the translation is not done by a certified translator (a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial association of translators and interpreters in Canada), you must submit an affidavit swearing to the accuracy of the translation and the language proficiency of the translator.

An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a person authorized to administer oaths in the country where the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.

Translators who are certified in Canada don’t need to supply an affidavit.

The affidavit must be sworn in the presence of:

In Canada:

  • a notary public
  • a commissioner of oaths
  • a commissioner of taking affidavits

Authority to certify varies by province and territory. Consult your local provincial or territorial authorities.

Outside of Canada:

  • a notary public

Authority to administer oaths varies by country. Consult your local authorities.

Certified true copies

To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print all of the following on the photocopy:

  • “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”
  • the name of the original document
  • the date of the certification
  • their name
  • their official position or title
  • their signature

Who can certify copies?

Only authorized people can certify copies.

Important information: Certifying of copies must not be done by the applicants themselves nor by an applicant’s parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin.

People authorized to certify copies include the following:

In Canada:

  • a notary public
  • a commissioner of oaths
  • a commissioner of taking affidavits

Authority to certify varies by province and territory. Check with your local provincial or territorial authorities to learn who has the authority to certify.

Outside Canada:

  • a notary public

The authority to certify international documents varies by country. Check with your local authorities to learn who has the authority to certify in your country.

Police certificates

If you and your family members are 18 years of age and older and aren’t permanent residents or Canadian citizens, you must provide a valid police certificate for any country other than Canada in which you spent 6 or more months in a row since the age of 18.

Note: You do not need to provide a police certificate from a country if you or your family members were under 18 years of age the entire time you lived in that country.

If the original certificate isn’t in English or French, you must get an accredited translator to translate it. You must include both the police certificate and the original copy of the translation.

We’ll also do our own background checks to see if there are reasons why you or your family members may not be admissible to Canada.

For specific and up-to-date information, see our guide on where to get a police certificate.

Convictions/offences outside Canada

If you were convicted of or committed a criminal offence outside Canada, you may overcome this criminal inadmissibility

  • by applying for rehabilitation, or
  • you may be deemed to have been rehabilitated if at least ten years have passed since you completed the sentence imposed upon you, or since you committed the offence, if the offence is one that would, in Canada, be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than ten years.

If the offense is one that would, in Canada, be prosecuted summarily, and if you were convicted for two (2) or more such offenses, the period for rehabilitation is at least five (5) years after the sentences imposed were served or are to be served.

Convictions/offences in Canada

If you have a criminal conviction in Canada, you must seek a record suspension (formerly a pardon) from the Parole Board of Canada (PBC) before you will be admissible to Canada.

blankNote: Do not complete the forms in this guide until you have received your record suspension.
You can request a Record Suspension Application Guide or additional information from:

In order to be considered for a record suspension under the Criminal Records Act, a specified period of time must pass after the end of the sentence imposed. The sentence may have been payment of a fine, period of probation, or imprisonment.

Note: Once you have a copy of the record suspension, send a photocopy to a Canadian visa office or Citizenship and Immigration Centre. If you are travelling to Canada carry a copy of the record suspension with you.

If you have had two (2) or more summary convictions in Canada, you may no longer be inadmissible if:

  • at least five (5) years have passed since all sentences imposed were served or to be served,
  • you have had no other convictions.

View More...


Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9 digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.


First step to getting a driving license in Canada

Before you arrive in Canada, it’s recommended that you get a copy of your driving history from your home country’s licencing authority and/or insurance provider. Having the appropriate documentation (including the actual licence itself) ready when you arrive will help when you’re applying for a driving license in Canada. Documentation should be in English or French.


Canadian passports and travel documents

How to apply for a passport, processing times, service locations, new requirements and what to do if your passport is lost, stolen or damaged.